If you like the circus, then this year's GAC is for you. Not only are the fine folks from credit union land converging on Washington, D.C., but apparently so are a bevy of bankers. Mix this oil and water crowd in with a bunch of politicians and we have ourselves a bonafide three-ring show under the big top. To address the ramifications of the mass of financial services populi in our nation's capital, we invited CUNA's Ryan Donovan on the show to get his expert view. We also talk about the star-studded speaker line-up for this year's show, today's top credit union issues, and what credit unions can do better politically to increase their clout. It certainly was a pleasure having Ryan on the program giving us a forecast of how the 2012 Governmental Affairs Conference will fare next week. Enjoy the show and look forward to seeing all of you under the big top. Bring your popcorn.
What you will learn...
1. You are expecting more than 4,000 CU attendees for this year's GAC. What effect does this number have when everyone conducts their Hill visits?
3. The GAC’s tagline this year is "Powerful Cause, Positive Effect". How does it tie into your message on the Hill?
4. What are the major CU issues that top your agenda during this year's GAC?
5. Bill Cheney said the ABA will have bankers in town the same week as the GAC. Presumably they’ll be lobbying against key elements of the CU agenda. Has this happened before, and how do you plan to handle it?
6. Overall, what do you hope attendees will be able to gain attending this year's GAC?
7. In your opinion, what can credit unions do better to become stronger politically?
8. What speakers do you look forward to seeing at the GAC?
CUNA's 2012 Governmental Affairs Conference
Mike Lawson, Host
Married to a beautiful and wonderful wife, raising 5 kiddos (including twins!), enjoy helping others tell their stories, and love surfing SoCal waves. Keep it simple.