It's well known that nearly everybody's digital transformation went from a well thought-out journey to an all-out drag race since COVID crossed our borders. Since then, the question has often come up on how well these expedited digital banking transformations went.
To get the answers and more, we invited Backbase Head of Strategy for North America Vince Bezemer on the show. Vince shared some paradoxes and future banking needs that credit unions should keep top of mind or risk getting left behind. And these needs revolve around digital and getting it right.
During our conversation, Vince cites a Digital Banking Report that showed only 31% of organizations stated they were "highly" or "very highly" successful at getting the customer experience right in a digital environment. So what happened to the other 69%?
Vince shares his thoughts on these numbers, as well as how difficult it is getting a digital transformation right -- especially during a pandemic.
Check it out and let us know your thoughts.
Mike Lawson, Host
Married to a beautiful and wonderful wife, raising 5 kiddos (including twins!), enjoy helping others tell their stories, and love surfing SoCal waves. Keep it simple.